Sunday, October 08, 2006

How did this all start?

How did this all start? I'll explain my story, but in an attempt to share my hard earned lessons, i'll parenthetically state where the WARNING SIGNS were that i ignored, casting all common sense and God-sense out of the window.

Several years ago, i began to experience serious spiritual and emotional set-backs that was hindering my growth and walk in the LORD, as well as hindering my ability to fully function in society. My own church tried repeatedly to help me, but due to several factors --including my own lack of knowledge of who i was in Christ, i kept getting worse. Also, i sought other local pastors for help. I tried getting help from ANYONE who i thought could help me (first mistake, when you are vulnerable and emotional, this is not the time to be seeking help from people you don't know, just because they state that they are a minister). I went to a web-site of a ministry with which i am familiar and on the web-site they stated that another ministry was very expert in addressing the problems i felt i was having. Finally, i called the number of the minister, and she prayed for me on the spot. I thought, "wow, she doesn't even know me but she is praying for me right away." She stated that i needed to see her in person to receive more counseling and prayer. Eager for relief from my problems, i finally went to see her.

The ministry seemed to be legitimate in that i had to complete an application explaining why i was there, a legal waiver, and other professional looking paperwork. It also mentioned a voluntary fee of $300 for receiving the services of the ministry. Although it seemed like a lot of money, it made sense to ask for some offering to cover the expenses of the ministry (second mistake, the gospel and its ministry is FREE. Yes, it costs money to run a ministry, but there shouldn't be a fee or a charge). I didn't have all the money at the time, but paid it in installments. Also, she tore up one of the checks and stated that she didn't need it, so i thought that was nice. At the conclusion of my initial session with her, she told me that the LORD said that i was to be her spiritual daughter. That statement begun a two-year relationship.

We conversed on the phone. She would encourage, pray for, and confide in me. Three months later, she asked me to lend her some money to help her make a payment on mission retreat. She said that she would pay me back in three weeks. I thought this was God because i had a CD that had just matured the day before. I wired just over $2000. She didn't pressure me to do it, but i felt that i wanted her to know how much i appreciated her support and mentorship. Well, three weeks went by and she didn't give me the money. She stated that the real estate deal didn't "go through" and that her money was tied up until she could get a HUD-1 statement, whatever that means. She phrased it in a way to state that she couldn't get the money released until she was able to find another suitable property and close the deal.

I eventually began sending regular offerings to her ministry. She didn't ask for any money again until she new that i was mistakenly given a financial aid loan check. She asked me for some of it, and remembering how she hadn't paid me the $2000 already, i said i'd "pray about it." I had no intentions of letting her borrow the money. However, i came under heavy mental oppression the next day. When i called to let her know about it, she stated that it was because i didn't let her borrow the money. I was so afraid that i offended God, that rather than sending the check back to the school, i cashed it and overnighted her the money (third mistake, allowing spiritual abuse, control and intimidation. If God was displeased with me for possibly being stingy or tightfisted, He wouldn't have needed to threaten me, He would have simply corrected me because i'm one of His children).

A few months later, she came and spent time with me. During the time she stayed, i literally took care of ALL financial needs. After she left, she called and told me that the LORD wanted to bless me for my hospitality and kindness, and she was going to reimburse the money i spent on her. The money never came. This particular situation hurt because i was not looking to be reimbursed for my hospitality, so she needlessly raised my expectations.

It wasn't bad enough for her to borrow money and never pay it back. She had to ruin my credit as well.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home